Sunday, May 27, 2007

Firewalls

As I was studying for my last exam, I realized that I didn’t know much about information technology. I have heard the word firewall many times at work and of course I didn’t have any clue what it meant. I was also too shy to ask one of my colleagues what it was. After reading a little bit about it in the course’s manual, I decided to do more research on the subject and to write about it on my blog.
One of the major concerns for businesses is to protect their information because if that information falls into the wrong hands, it could affect the business quite negatively. One tool that most companies use is firewalls. A firewall is a security system that prevents outsiders from entering private networks. I thought why are they not always effective? Apparently like anything else, firewalls need to be updated. The amount of updates is a decision for the user and it should not be taken lightly. The user should check the web site of the company for the latest updates.

Apparently, firewalls sometimes slow down your computer response time because it adds oversight to the flow of data. Sometimes for the companies, this can be a performance bottleneck. So be careful when you choose the firewall… don’t build it higher than you need.

No comments: