Monday, May 28, 2007

Wireless

I always thought that exchanging information from point A to point B without any cable was an amazing technology. When you think about it, we use wireless everyday, a mobile phone, a GPS, a wireless mouse, a wireless internet connection, a blackberrie, a Nintendo Wii, just to name a few.

I never quite understand how it worked. I decided it was time that I learn. How can you send information in the air? The information is transformed into a signal that is sent by a wireless transmission from point A to point B. The different types of wireless transmission are microwaves, infrared and radio waves. Each wireless transmission works on a different frequency range and are measured by megahertz (MHz).

In the last decade, a lot of new applications for the wireless technology have been invented. Some people call this the wireless revolution and apparently we are just at the beginning stages. When I sit in a meeting and I see people looking at the blackberries every few minutes, I can't help but to think what is it going to be in twenty years from now? Are we going to be able to send our thoughts by a wireless transmission to someone else?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zj7txoDxbE

No comments: